By phone: 345-5820 ext.1143
By email: email@example.com
How Do I Get a Library Card?
- Library cards are issued to residents of Tuscaloosa County free of charge (age 3 and up).
- Adults (16 and older application) or (Spanish application): Complete a library card application, present a valid photo ID, and provide proof of current local address. The following are appropriate forms of photo ID:
- Government issued ID – passport, driver’s license, non-driver’s ID, military ID
- School or work issued ID
If the picture ID doesn’t match the patron’s current residential address, the following can be used to verify address:*
- Bill or official postmarked mail
- Car, voter, or school registration
- Lease agreement
* Patrons can also use their phones to bring up proof of address, such as an online bill or electronic lease agreement, as long as the patron’s name and address are listed on it.
- Children (ages 3-15 application) or (Spanish application): Complete a library card application signed by a parent or legal guardian. The parent or legal guardian must also present valid photo ID and proof of current address. Both the parent and the child must be present to obtain a library card.
- College Students living on campus: Complete a library card application and present a valid photo ID. Proof of local address is not necessary.
- College Students living off campus: Complete a library card application, present a valid photo ID, and provide proof of local address (see acceptable forms of proof above).
- Out-of-County Adults and Children: Complete a library card application, present a valid photo ID, and provide proof of current address (see acceptable forms of proof above). In addition, a $10 annual fee is required.
- Courtesy Card: Valid for 3 months and issued to individuals living in temporary residences in Tuscaloosa County (Salvation Army, Reprieve, Phoenix House, etc.): Complete a library card application, present a valid photo ID, and provide a signed letter from an administrator at the institution where the patron is living.
*PLEASE NOTE: Due to library closing procedures, we typically do not begin the process of making a new library card 15 minutes prior to closing.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q: Can a patron use a post office box as a local address?
A: No. The address must be a physical location. However, a post office box can be listed in addition to a local address, particularly if the patron prefers to receive mail there.
Q: Do library cards expire?
A: Yes, they expire one year from the date they are issued. In order to renew a library card, the patron must present a photo ID in person and confirm the accuracy of their physical address, phone numbers, and email address. The patron continues to use the card he/she was originally issued.
Q: What if I lose my library card?
A: Report the loss or theft of your library card to TPL immediately! Call (205) 345-5820 and ask for the circulation desk. The patron is financially responsible for all materials checked out on their card until the loss is reported.
Q: How much does a new library card cost?
A: TPL charges $5.00 to replace a lost library card.
Q: Am I able to access my TPL account online?
A: Yes! To access your library account, you need to set up a PIN (personal identification number). This can be done when you sign up for a library card, any time you visit the library, or by phone. Please contact the Circulation desk.
How Long May I Keep My . . .
- Books: 2 weeks, plus 3 automatic renewals*; limit 40 per card
- Books on CD & Music CDs: 2 weeks, plus 3 automatics renewals*; limit 10 each per card
- DVDs: 7 days, 1 automatic renewal*; limit 10 per card
- Quick Pick books & DVDs: 7 days, 1 automatic renewal; limit 4 per card
- Mifi Hotspots: 7 days, no renewals; limit 1 per card
* If an item has been placed on Hold by another patron it cannot be renewed.
PLEASE NOTE: Tuscaloosa Public Library no longer charges overdue fines for late materials! In addition, library materials will be automatically renewed unless an item has been placed on Hold by another patron OR if the patron’s library account has expired. Library accounts must be renewed annually. View our Policies here.